Monday, January 25, 2010

Trouble in paradise

So here we are for one more day of digression, and hopefully it will be the last. After the Memphis Maniac fiasco was over, life in NYC was good. Exciting and boring since I no longer had a stalker, but not the kind of boring you complain about. Then one day out of the clear, blue, winter sky, I had the brilliant idea to move to Maui. I put in for a transfer and before I knew it, I was on the sandy beaches of paradise. I was there for six months before I met him. I lived in the upstairs part of a two story duplex. One day I was sitting on my balcony with a towel on my head, smoking a cigarette, and there he was. This really attractive, blond, curly haired, shirtless, sufer dude. He was friends with my downstairs neighbors and I had never seen him before. He made eye contact with me and came bounding up my stairs. He said that I had a beautiful smile and he just had to come and introduce himself.
Now, the warning bells should have gone off in my head, but conisdering that my last boyfriend never complemented me, and I was in the middle of a year and a half dry spell, I ate it up. From that moment, the two of us were practically joined at the hip.
Let me just say that there are a lot of things that you cannot know about a person while you are simply dating them. After three months, it seemed that my roomates and his roomates had decided to move, so we were faced with a decision: stay where we were and interview and meet tons of strangers and then have to pick some to move in to our current places... or move in together and get our own place.
Obviously, the first would have beeen the best decision, but like I have said before, Hindsight is 20/20.
So, Maui Mental Case and I moved in together, which I swore I would never do, but we did it. For about a month everything seemed fine, and then he got comfortable and began to show his true colors. Now all of the details of those colors aren't really necessary, so I will give you a brief summary.
He drank too much, took too many pills, and was terrified to go to sleep at night. Now, I don't do drugs, I barely drink, and I love a good night sleep. I quickly became terrified of even having a drink because what if something happened and I had to drive one of us to the hospital. What if one of my friends was stranded on the highway and I had to go and help her. So, I quickly became angry with him, because it seemed that all he did was drink and wake me up at 4 in the morning because he wanted me to pay attention to him. P.S., don't wake me up at 4 in the morning unless you are dying or are family or are one of my very best friends in desparate need of conversation.
Finally, I woke up one morning with him screaming at me because there were pictures of me with boys on my computer, which I didn't even know he knew the password to. Mind you these were not dirty pictures, simply pictures of me that happened to have boys in them. I left the house, went to the internet cafe and bought a plane ticket home, to Memphis. I left a few days later and I wasn't planning on looking back. Then one day he calls me and asks if we were still faithfully together.
Um... I was under the impression that when I walked out and went to the airport.. that, No we weren't faithfully together, or together period. I only let the phone calls continue for a few days before I called my service provider and spoke with a delightful lady. I told her my ex boyfriend was harassing me and I needed to change my number... again. They must have me in the "ex boyfriend file" on their computers because this was definitely the third time I had changed my number in two and a half years. She was so sweet that she even waived the $36 dollar fee. Luckily, Maui Mental case wasn't as ambitious as the Memphis Maniac and never came looking for me.
So, those are my searching years. After 4 months spent living back with my parents in Memphis, I got my old job back and moved back to NYC, which is where I currently am... single and yet again in dry spell. However, I have learned that a dry spell is much more pleasant than a crazy boyfriend.
Tommorrow I will continue with my Scottish love story, because as I have said before, the story isn't over yet.

2 comments:

  1. You went through too much stress to ever be in a situation like that again, good luck and watch out for yourself.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...I am much more guarded now...maybe too much

    ReplyDelete